Sunday, May 15, 2011

some interesting reading

well this weekend has passed lazily. I watched green lantern - first flight thrice (third time bacause my neighbors son insisted on it - we both loved it.

Read Joomla!™ 1.6: A User’s Guide: Building a Successful Joomla! Powered Website, Third Edition. over at safari - I have been working on a few sites. Between Joomla, Drupal and Plone I have to choose a CMS. Joomla and Plone4 seem to be winning out for various reasons but thats neither here nor there.

I also went through Ivan's webinar on upcoming internet challenges and decided oh hey...look some affect me:-)...

The top one is the fact that TV over access networks is now a reality in Kenya. DSTV started streaming over safaricom's network. Which means my cell phone is a tiny media house now. It's not yet 'that killer app' but we're headed there. compared to netflix's 1M subscribers connecting through Level 3 doing about 3Tbps, we're nowhere near that capacity.

NAT - arghh this one pains me, its even worse -for me-that some of the solutions being proposed for ipv6 is NAT.....we're lazy...again

The other one is business model failures. and misleading service definitions. I think we're still experimenting with how to bill data. I expect a lot of money to be wasted especially with DPI's and trying to bill per service. Imagine if you were billing skype as a service, now Microsoft bought them and suddenly your DPI will probably need to look at totally new metering bits/rule base to decide on what/how to bill. The effort is not worth it. chances of messing up and pissing off customers is high.

In a few networks I know, DPI is used for good. It ensures fair usage for all.


Unbundling the local loop in Kenya is quite easy with the right policies. Heck I think it would fit very nicely for a startup based in one of the upcoming high growth counties.

and there's more and it goes on...some day i'll be writing better...for now you're stuck with my thoughts and notes...

No comments:

Post a Comment