Monday, May 2, 2011

I think Im driving this bus now!

As I watch Himawan's  webex recording on the ccie program and some new bits he worked into the program. His story fascinates me. I like the focus and dedication he has shown so far. I decided to post this just for me to keep track of things.

its been an interesting month. as a couple of you know,after passing CCIE, I have been away from work focusing on some personal projects that had been long neglected, resting and giving my career plans some serious attention.

At this point, my main motivation is money, I borrowed lots of money to take the CCIE (I'll do a post on what it costs a third world networker to do some of these things) so it really has to pay that back - and then some. Soon, the focus can move back where it matters. Getting the best exposure and personal satisfaction from what I do on a day to day basis. 

Now Im back at work and I think I can pretty much throw my digested mind map here.

Option 1:
Stay at my current job, negotiate for more cash. This is my preferred option, but Im a terrible negotiator. The only issue I foresee here is the remuneration. That sucks. Other than that it is the perfect place to work, it offers the best opportunities for technical growth and I doubt the grass will be any greener elsewhere as far as a good work environment goes. There's also exciting change happening and it almost has that 'start up feeling' that I like. It also exposes me to everything I'd like to be doing technically. LTE, CCIE SP, IP transformation,project management and a training component.

Option 2:
Work for a cisco partner that actually requires my ccie number more than my skill - for now. This is most definately the easiest option as far as getting more money and a new job goes - 2 solid offers received already so yeah a ccie helps. But most of them do not do service provider networks so I'd be bored senseless. I hat being bored. However we/they can grow the business and get some SP's in. I'd also most likely pursue a JNCIE* and a CCIE-Security - to kill the boredom and they would be paying:-).

Option 3:
Work for a Telco integrator like NSN or Ericsson or Huawei. Definately worth looking into. I am fascinated by LTE, IP RAN and the whole mobile network ecosystem/revolution. I also have a very strong background having run a mobile PS core for 3+ years before my current IP NGN role. I probably wouldn't pursue any other certfications. However I'd most definately improve on my multivendor skills so some juniper and Alcatel experience would be pursued.

Option 4:
Work for Cisco. Well I guess just for the multiple CCIE's (I would really like the voice and SP) and the opportunities that would open up. This option is actually quite high up on my list especially if at some point I get a role that deals with the ASR 5K's and general SP -NGN mobile networks like stuff. I however know for sure that this BU is not represented in Kenya and I'm not really interested in starting from the bottom or from another office and working through the maze that is Cisco.

Option 5:
consult - basically take on contracts and go work wherever id be needed.anything from GGSN's, IP NGN, migrations, ipv6, whatever ....  I would get to travel and earn lots of cash. Im not so sure why I dont like this option given that its the easiest path for me. I'd have to be desperate to pull this trigger.

Option 6:
Set up my/our own shop and hustle it out as a consulting/training company. This takes quite some work. Just working on filling a business model working in business plans, deciding on partners etc is enough headache already. While I have lots of practical experience, I tend to over think things so ehh...hmm... I can pursue whatever certifications I feel are relevant to market the 'shop'. I'd probably have to do more to improve on my voice and security. I also have a very good network as far as contacts go.. This definately offers more long term benefits but in the short term it will be quite busy. definately also near top of my list.....

Option 7:

become a farmer:-) -- I could just go deal with Kenya's food security issues....it's a sector waiting to be exploded:-)

Im sure I've missed some out.

So anyway May marks the second month before I make these decisions so stick around...we'll see how it goes. Either way for all those that have been asking, yes, a ccie comes in handy especially in the EMEA region. go get one:-)

Oh I also lifted the following slides:
*They were shared on the webex above and I'd suggest you watch that. I make an assumption that the numbers are public...

1 comment:

  1. Been waiting for this update!
    You have really answered many questions looming in the mind of any ambitions third world networker in EA.
    Enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete