Thursday, January 8, 2009

Grrr...Solaris 10 install

I have generally always HATED installing operating systems. Unfortunately today caught me doing just that. Installing Solaris 10 on a v490 that just refused to cooperate with me. So there I was huddled in the data center at temperatures my body doesn't agree with; an installation that took a minimum 2 hours (had to do it twice - resized the disks wrongly the first time) so 4 hours....grrr.....a fun fun......If I curse or throw a shoe at you in traffic blame SUN:-) or solaris...and forgive me!!

and it still bloody refused to boot in the end. damn thing couldnt initialize the boot disk without my help , kumbe the boot sequence was wrong:-(

Retrying network initialization
Evaluating:

Can't open boot device

{3} ok boot disk <<---this resolved my first problem, finally booting - 4 hrs down the line
Boot device: /pci@9,600000/SUNW,qlc@2/fp@0,0/disk@0,0 File and args: Loading ufs-file-system package 1.4 04 Aug 1995 13:02:54. FCode UFS Reader 1.12 00/07/17 15:48:16. Loading: /platform/SUNW,Sun-Fire-V490/ufsboot Loading: /platform/sun4u/ufsboot

then came installing squid, which is what i wanted to do to begin with. If you've installed solaris you know how bare minimal instal gets done. So we always keep a set of standard packages to install to get things going:

## pwd
/export/home/jgitau/SUNFREEWARE
# ls
apache-2.2.6-sol10-sparc-local libintl-3.4.0-sol10-sparc-local php-5.2.5-sol10-sparc-local
curl-7.18.0-sol10-sparc-local libxml2-2.6.31-sol10-sparc-local php-5.2.6-sol10-sparc-local
expat-2.0.1-sol10-sparc-local make-3.81-sol10-sparc-local python-2.5.1-sol10-sparc-local
flex-2.5.33-sol10-sparc-local mysql-5.0.51-sol10-sparc-local sed-4.1.5-sol10-sparc-local
fping-2.4b2-sol10-sparc-local ncurses-5.6-sol10-sparc-local thttpd-2.25b-sol10-sparc-local
gcc-3.4.6-sol10-sparc-local netsnmp-5.4.1-sol10-sparc-local wget-1.11.1-sol10-sparc-local
libiconv-1.11-sol10-sparc-local openldap-2.4.11-sol10-sparc-local zip-2.32-sol10-sparc-local
libidn-1.6-sol10-sparc-local openssl-0.9.8f-sol10-sparc-local zlib-1.2.3-sol10-sparc-local
so we keep those around and use the standard pkgadd'er:

pkgadd -d

so how long do you think that sort of took?....

oh yes I also had missing paths:
so:

Bash:
export PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:usr/sbin

sh:
setenv PATH /usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:usr/sbin


adding me as a user so we can ssh and leave this cold place...:

bash-3.00# mkdir /export/home/jgitau
bash-3.00# useradd -d /home/jgitau -m -s /usr/bin/bash -c "John Gitau" jgitau
bash-3.00# passwd jgitau
New Password:
Re-enter new Password:
passwd: password successfully changed for jgitau

scp/ftp the files or use whichever method makes you happy....eg for apache

scp apache-2.2.6-sol10-sparc-local jgitau@196.201.xx.xx:/export/home/jgitau/SUNFREEWARE

aaanywayz....i finally got to compile squid and it was a happy day, just not a single ccie sort of reading will get done today...

Ha...yes this post is mainly just to remind me what packages to get downloaded next time, and simple commands I sometimes forget...and general noise for the blog...:-)...

seriously though, you can let me know if you do get a problem with this sort of thing, live around nairobi, and you promise not to take me to a data center with working air conditioners - because then it would be a nice warm environment-) for me:-) hmm I didn't see any DustPuppies, I relax over at userfriendly alot..probably too much

No comments:

Post a Comment